Curated by Donna de la Perriere & Joseph Lease
Saturday, June 26, 7-9 pm
Curated by Donna de la Perriere
Saturday, June 26, 7-9pm
Saturday, August 28, 7-9pm
$3-$15 sliding scale admission
"An ear and mind opener... this event delivers the real thing: edgy stuff, poetry with a real bite!" --SAN FRANCISCO magazine
At the Bay Area Poetry Marathon, poets from across the U.S. and the Bay Area celebrate innovative poetry in a series of readings throughout the summer.
August's event features Garrett Caples, Maxine Chernoff, Junior Clemons, Steffi Drewes, Edward Foster, Lorelei Lee, Erika Staiti, and Brian Strang.
* GARRETT CAPLES is a writer living in Oakland. Author of two poetry collections, he has just published a study of symbolist poetry, Quintessence of the Minor (Wave Books). He edits for City Lights & writes for the SF Bay Guardian.
* MAXINE CHERNOFF's new series is called "without." She taught in Prague this summer & will be teaching in Kenya in December. Her translation of Holderlin won the 2009 PEN Translation Award.
* JUNIOR CLEMONS was born & raised in San Diego, CA. In his free time he enjoys the sun.
* STEFFI DREWES is a contributing editor for MAKE: A Chicago Literary Magazine. Her poems have appeared in New American Writing, Parthenon West Review, Shampoo, & Monday Night. According to Chinese astrology, she is a sheep & is very prone to daydreaming.
* EDWARD FOSTER's new book, The Beginning of Sorrows, has been called a "solidly recommended volume" (Midwest Book Review), in which each poem is "often exquisite in its balance and poise" (Jacket). He is writing a prose narrative about New England.
* LORELEI LEE's fiction and poetry have appeared in Denver Quarterly, Transfer, and $pread. She toured with the 2008 Sex Worker's Art Show and is completing her MFA in fiction at NYU.
* ERIKA STAITI compiled the pdfs on saidwhatwesaid.com and printed the chapbook Verse/Switch & Stop-Motion in 2009. New work appears in With + Stand.
* BRIAN STRANG is the author of INCRETION, MACHINATIONS, several chapbooks, & translations of contemporary Portuguese poetry. He's had 3 solo shows of his poem/paintings in the last 3 years. See recent work at SORRY NATURE and SUN INTO SEA.
June's event featured: Taylor Brady, Soledad Decosta, Joseph Donahue, Sarah Fontaine, Kathryn L. Pringle, Linda Russo, and Jocelyn Saidenberg.
TAYLOR BRADY is the author of Microclimates (Krupskaya, 2001), Yesterday's News (Factory School, 2005), and Occupational Treatment (Atelos, 2006), and co-author with Rob Halpern of Snow Sensitive Skin (2d. edition forthcoming this year). Recent poems appear in Try, Aufgabe, and Jacket.
LUCY CORIN’s books are the novel Everyday Psychokillers: A History for Girls (FC2, 2004), the story collection, The Entire Predicament (Tin House, 2007), and a hundred apocalypse stories called A Hundred Apocalypses, in progress.
SOLIDAD DECOSTA is a writer and musician whose work has appeared in Shampoo, Mirage#4/Period(ical), ALLiance, P!, Angry Poet, Street NOTES and the San Francisco Bay Guardian. She was the 2008 recipient of Naropa University's Kari Edwards Scholarship.
JOSEPH DONAHUE is the author of Incidental Eclipse and Terra Lucida, both published by Talisman House. He lives in Durham, North Carolina.
SARAH FONTAINE's favorite accomplishments as of May 21, 2010 are: she quit high school, she’s keeping her house plants alive, and Leithian Muller (1.5 years) reaches for her on occasion. www.factorycompany.org, www.upperleftethnography.com
KATHRYN L. PRINGLE's books are RIGHT NEW BIOLOGY (Factory School), The Stills (Duration), and Temper & Felicity Are Lovers (TAXT). Work has appeared in DQ, Fence, & elsewhere, & will appear in the anthology "I Drowned my Book" Conceptual Writing by Women (Les Figues).
LINDA RUSSO: collections of poetry: Mirth (Chax) & o going out (Potes & Poets) + chapbooks; ongoing writing/inhabiting “eco-”/dictionary-as-muse in eastern Washington. Previously Buffalo Poetics Program. Essay intro to Joanne Kyger's About Now: Collected Poems.
JOCELYN SAIDENBERG's books include: Mortal City (Parentheses), CUSP (Kelsey St.), Negativity (Atelos), and Dispossessed (Belladonna). Born and raised in New York City, she lives in San Francisco where she works as a metadata librarian for the public library.
To read a review of a Marathon event, go to http://www.kqed.org/arts/literature/article.jsp?essid=17560
For more information on the BAPM, go to http://www.myspace.com/bayareapoetrymarathon
Past Marathon readers include: Anita Amirrezvani, Rae Armantrout, Dodie Bellamy, Charles Bernstein, Lee Ann Brown, Maxine Chernoff, Norma Cole, Gillian Conoley, Robert Creeley, Diane DiPrima, kari edwards, Edward Foster, Kathleen Fraser, Gloria Frym, Forrest Gander, C.S. Giscombe, Jewelle Gomez, Noah Eli Gordon, Robert Hass, Lyn Hejinian, Brenda Hillman, Paul Hoover, Fanny Howe, Kevin Killian, Jane Miller, Laura Mullen, Michael Palmer, D.A. Powell, Bin Ramke, Lisa Robertson, Elizabeth Robinson, Leslie Scalapino, David Shapiro, Tom Sleigh, Cole Swensen, Truong Tran, Anne Waldman, C.D. Wright, John Yau, Al Young, Matthew Zapruder, and many others.